Dear Friends: This was supposed to publish yesterday! I hit the button and dashed out the door and only realized TODAY that it never posted. I may be a day late (and a dollar short?), but here’s YESTERDAY’S edition of Sarahphina’s Finds. xoxo
About three months ago, I put a call out to FBook to recommend the very best podcasts. And my Friends (Facebook Friends get a capital “F”) responded. Man-oh-man, did they respond. I have now fallen in love with several badass podcasts. If I’m doing any kind of data-entry related activity, I’m listening to a podcast. If I’m going for an early morning walk, I’m listening to a podcast. If I’m in the car, I freaking guarantee I’m listening to a podcast. And so, from my earbuds to yours, I’m happy to present my favorite podcasts. Saving the best for last:
10. Q: The Podcast: Interesting, diverse guests and thoughtful conversation. Plus, Jian Ghomeshi is a total babe.
9. Stuff You Missed in History Class: Ok, I’m not nuts about the hosts (sorry, ladies!), but this podcast feeds my hunger for history.
8. TED Radio Hour: An hour-long (duh) program focusing on a single topic or theme using various TED talks that touch on that theme.
7. RadioLab: This one was voted MVP (Most Valuable Podcast) by my Facebook pals. The recent it’s not higher on my list? It only runs a few episodes a season! My habit needs weekly feeding. But you’re a chump if you don’t subscribe to it. The topics are utterly compelling and the style is engaging.
6. Wait Wait, Don’t Tell Me: If you like your news with a spoonful of cheeky, family-appropriate comedy, check out this NPR gem of a quiz show.
5. Political Gabfest: So. Slate.com is one of my daily online reads. I am always intrigued by the topics they write on (and the stances they take), even when I don’t agree. The trinity of David Plotz, Emily Bazelon and John Dickerson always provides compelling dialogue on the political happenings of our time while remaining charming and personable.
4. Savage Lovecast: Ah, Dan Savage. My favorite politically-minded sex advice columnist. Listening to him give advice on all SORTS of issues is my weekly guilty pleasure. Because let’s be honest–we all like hearing about other people’s sex and relationship woes, right? Or is it just me? Whatever, I’m not ashamed. I listened to Loveline in the 90s, and I”ll listen to Savage Lovecast now (also, Savage is WAY BETTER than Loveline)(Also, did you know Loveline is still on?).
3. Snap Judgement: A youthful and energetic storytelling podcast that focuses on personal stories around a given theme.
2. Double X Gabfest: The ladies of Slate are my favorite. This supersmart podcast tackles feminism, gender and sexuality in society and culture. They’re smart, engaging and dynamic, and sometimes I pretend they’re my friends. Especially Noreen.
1. This American Life. My favorite podcast, the one I look forward to all week. One to four “acts” (stories) exploring various angles on a given theme or issue in, well, American life. Narrated by Ira Glass, who is totally boss. I listen to this show to expand my views past the limited range of my own experience. It’s not just entertaining, it’s important.
That’s it, kids! If you have a podcast that you LOVE that isn’t on this list, lemme know! I’m always looking for more!